Gerald G. Dixon
Dixon • Scholl • Carrillo • P.A.
Education and Honors
- Texas Tech University
- Bachelor of Business Administration, May 1977
- Omicron Delta Kappa, President, 1976-1977
- Texas Tech University School of Law
- Juris Doctor Degree, May 1981
- Member of The Order of Barristers 1980-1981
- Phi Delta Phi Outstanding Graduate Student, Province VII
- Member, Texas Tech Law Review, 1979-81
- January 1, 2000 to present, Shareholder and Director Dixon•Scholl•Carrillo•P.A., Albuquerque, N.M.
- Litigation experience includes primary responsibility for more than 1,250 professional liability cases. His litigation practice primarily focuses on defense of architects, engineers, attorneys, accountants, real estate brokers and construction disputes as well as complex commercial litigation matters.
- August 1999 to December 1999, Shareholder and Director, Sharp, Jarmie, Dixon, Scholl & Bailey, P.A., Albuquerque, N.M.
- Sept. 1986 – August 1999, Shareholder and Director, Hatch, Allen & Shepherd, P.A., Albuquerque, N.M.
- June 1981 – September 1986, Associate Attorney, Shaw, Spangler & Roth, Denver, Colorado
Professional Memberships and Ratings
- State Bar of New Mexico (1986)
- State Bar of Colorado (1981)
- US District Court of New Mexico (1986)
- US District Court of Colorado ( 1981)
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit (1986)
- Member, American Bar Association
- New Mexico State Bar Association: Commission on Professionalism (1989 – 1993)
- Member, Albuquerque Bar Association (President 1994)
- Master Bencher: Inns of Court (1998 – 2005)
- The Best Lawyers In America: Professional Malpractice Law (2006 Present)
- New Mexico State Bar Association: Professional Liability Committee (2003 – Present)
- Board of Bar Examiners: Liaison to the Board of Bar Examiners and Chair of the Policy and Bylaws Committee
Professional Lectures and Training
- 2002 and 2006 Presentations to ASHRAE on professional liability issues.
- 2001, 2002 and 2003 Presentations to contractors and design professionals on Construction Management/Design-Build (Lorman Educational Series).
- 2001 CLE Presentation, Managing Attorney-Client Privilege and the Work. Product Doctrine in New Mexico (National Business Institute).
- 1998 Presentation to New Mexico Association of Women Accountants.
- 1998 Presentation to New Mexico Board of Realtors – Mid-year Meeting.
- 1997 Presentation to Stanley Consultants, Muscatine, Iowa.
- 1994 Presentation to Santa Fe Board of Realtors.
- 1992 Presentation to Building Contractors on Bankruptcy and Construction issues.
- 1992 CLE presentation, Albuquerque Bar Association, Post Judgment Collection Procedures.
- 1996 Presented lecture: “Hate, Violence and the Law”; New Mexico Bar Foundation’s Fall Convention.
- 1996 – Present Presentation to First Year Law Students at Texas Tech University School of Law on Professionalism and Ethics.
- Benns v. Continental Casualty Co., 982 F.2d 461 (lOthCir. 1993)
- R.T. C. v. Charles Barnhart, 116 N.M. 384, 862 P.2d 1243 (Cl. App. 1993)
- Adobe Masters, Inc. v. Downey, 118 NM 547, 883 P.2d 133 (1994)
- Garcia v. Coe Manufacturing Co., 123 N.M. 34,933 P.2d 243 (1997)
- Durham v. Southwest Developers ft. Venture, 128 N.M. 648, 996 P.2d 911 (Ct. App. 1999)
- The Corporate Attorney-Client Privilege: Alternatives to the Control Group Test, 12 Texas Tech Law Review, pp. 459-482.
- Shock Probation: An Alternative to Traditional Forms of Sentencing, 12 Texas Tech Law Review, pp. 697-724.
Community Activities and Awards
- 1994 – 2000: Lawyers With Class
- 1994 – Outstanding Lawyer Award; Lawyers with Class
- 1991 – 1992: Attorney Coach; Valley High School Mock Trial Team
- 1992 – 1996: Attorney Coach; Sandia High School Mock Trial Team
- 2003 – 2006: Attorney Coach; St. Pius X High School Mock Trial Team
- 2006 – Present: Attorney Coach: Sandia Prep High School Mock Trial Team
- 2000 – Judge: Regional Law School Mock Trial Competition
- 1988 – Present: Judge; New Mexico High School Mock Trial Competition
- 1998 – Judge: National High School Mock Trial Competition
- 2004 – Present: Texas Tech Law School Foundation Board of Trustees
- 1996 – Present: Landsun Homes Foundation, Inc.; Secretary, Board of Directors
- 1997 – Present: First Cornerstone, Inc.; Member, Board of Directors
- 1994 – Present: Center for Civic Values; Fellow
- 2014 – Texas Tech University School of Law – Distinguished Service Award
- 2014 – Albuquerque Bar Association – Outstanding Attorney of the Year
- 2014 – Best Lawyers 2014 Lawyer of the Year: Professional Malpractice